Friday, January 4, 2013

bedazzling your camera strap

i recently purchased a new camera.  a sony nex 5r to be exact.  the only way i can describe this camera is "SO COOL"!  it takes amazing pictures, lots of features (still have lots to learn!) and it even has wifi compatibility!  i can even make my iphone a remote control to take photos!

i have been hooked on pinterest lately and with hopes to live frugally and creatively, it's given me lots of ideas.  this is one of them!

i saw this cute leather/sequin camera strap and wanted to make one for myself!

photo courtesy of sugarandcloth.com

but....  one, i couldn't find sequin ribbon at the store, and two, i didn't want to purchase a rotary punch that i may or may not ever use again.  
so... i improvised and did this:

instead of buying a leather strap, i decided to bedazzle my existing strap that my camera came with.  (i also didn't want to deal with future discoloration of the leather on my skin in hot, humid hawaii!)  i bought multi-color, loose sequins and tacky glue.  one pack of loose sequins had 800 pieces and was more than enough!  i could of gone with plain silver or gold, but since my camera body is silver, the multi-color was great for some POP!

i used my spare tweezer to tack on each sequin, three different colors per row.  the sequins are in no particular order, i felt that laying them out sporadically would make it more special (and less time consuming!)

it only took about an hour or two at most to complete.  (not too bad right?  i thought it would take a lot longer!)  after all the sequins were glued down and dried, i painted a coat of mod podge to seal the deal.  hopefully, this will help from any individual sequins falling off.  

here's the finished product!

it came out fabulous and sparkly, just like me!

annnnnnnd only costed me less than $3!!

pack of 800 pieces sequin = $0.82
tacky glue = $1.42
total cost to bedazzle my camera strap = $2.24 plus tax


1 comment: