Monday, January 28, 2013

shiitake & chicken broth rice.

with my hopes to live more frugally this year, i'm trying to get the most for my bang.

by that, who doesn't love costco's rotisserie chicken?  it's $4.99, it's flavorful and a good size.  i usually eat half the chicken for dinner the day i buy it.  then i'm sick of it that it sits in the fridge for a day or two.  then i feel so bad throwing half the bird away so i thought to myself, "why not make chicken broth?!" 

but then, i make about four quarts of chicken broth and... uhhh.. what the hell am i going to do with this much broth??

my friend and chef suggested i make rice with it.  and to make it even more flavorful, add shiitake mushrooms.  it definitely reminded me of the rice my mom used to make, but her's consists of sake, mirin, etc. that i don't have on hand.  (i also did get a new zojirushi rice cooker, so it cooked the rice soooo well!)

can you smell that???

it came out so delicious, no salt, no additives, pure chicken broth, shiitake and rice.  full of flavor.  i could eat BOWLS of this!!!  now go try it and tell me how amazing it is!

1 comment: