Tuesday, January 18, 2011

inspired.

yesterday was martin luther king jr. day.  i don't think many people really understand or appreciate this day anymore.  it's more like just another "day off" for students and government employees.  but let's not forget why we commemorate the third monday of january every year.  martin luther king jr. was a non-violent activist during the civil rights movement.  he provided leadership and protested radical discrimination.  i've read "i have a dream" - writings and speeches that changed the world by the king and i was inspired.

"i have decided to stick with love.  hate is too great a burden to bear." - martin luther king jr.

here are a few other people who inspire me...

mother theresa
"we cannot do great things in this world.  we can only do small things with great love." - mother theresa

my parents
thank you for being my parents.

 roy yamaguchi
thank you for inspiring me to be a passionate person.

chris garnier
thank you for being my brother and mentoring me.
(check out the article written on chris & roy's!)

ocampo family
thank you for being my bff and letting me be jalen's god-mother.

gina cariaga
thank you for being my "anam cara" - my soul friend.

since moving to hawaii and working for the roy's, i've had the opportunity to meet many of the regulars and tourists that come to the original roy's in hawaii kai.  but it's most special when friends i know come visit me!

brian & shannon terayama
bt & shannon held their wedding reception at roy's this past saturday!  i've known bt for a few years now.  since shannon's dad is friends with roy and now that i work for roy's here, bt called me up to organize their reception.  mahalo and congratulations!

steve kagawa & ken kasamatsu
friends from la.  this was a huge surprise!  i knew something was up when roy called the restaurant to see if i was working but didn't want to talk to me!  steve is the president/ceo of the pacific bridge companies which allows him to travel to oahu monthly.  ken is the president of pacific commerce bank visiting for the sony open.  they both have a huge impact on the japanese american community in la and long time fans of roy's.

kristen hayashida
o.m.g.  random!  kristen happened to be on vacay with her bf and having dinner with her aunty and uncle.  kristen and i have known each other since kindergarden!!  we went to the same elementary, jr. high and high school together.  then we lost touch and we run into each other for the first time in seven years in hawaii - of all places!!

i cannot wait to see who else will come visit me or run into!

No comments:

Post a Comment