Saturday, January 29, 2011

rising above.

my move to hawaii may seem like paradise to everyone back home, but truth be told - it's not as bliss as you'd think.  please don't be jealous of me.  i continuously face challenges, obstacles and transitions that i never thought i would have to deal with.


for example, the pace of life here is so laid back.  i've learn to slooooooooooow it down - especially my driving.  it's hot and humid - i need to sit in front of a fan to put my make-up on, plus i shower two/three times a day.  i live on an island which i am the outsider - i'm from the "mainland".  


the phrase, "this isn't the mainland" is something people tell me often - i've tried to comprehend that statement but i have still yet to really get it.  i have people challenging my work ethics, antagonizing my abilities and testing my limits.  i moved here for one reason - roy's.  i didn't move here so that i could live in paradise nor did i move here for a guy.  wait........ i take that back - i did move here for roy.  ♥  


point is, i came here to continue my career with roy's and to learn and expand my hospitality skills.  this past week, i've learned to rise above. nobody can discourage me or hold me down.  i'm rising above and killing 'em with my kindness.  like i said before, for i am a strong woman...


but don't get me wrong, it's amazing here.  i'm walking the great aloha run on february 21st and for my training, i go for a 4 mile walk/run to the beach.  after 2 miles, i'm at the beach and i sit mesmerized.  

every night at work around 6:20pm, i get to see the sunset (sometime seeing the "green flash") - i stand in awe.  

i get to lounge and listen to live local music any time with good company.  that's krizpin oades - we used to work together, back in the good old days at roy's la jolla.  he recently moved back home and we are working together again!

i get to wear shorts & tank top and eat shave ice in january!!  that's kreig & shelby.  and you know my friend/roomie, dene.

i am surrounded by my new ohana.  this is at our employee party this past week at aiea bowl.  we all had so much fun - good fun bowling and drinking.  of course, no drinking on my part, but definitely taking care of those that were highly intoxicated.  ;)

but don't worry.  one thing will never change - i still go to the mall, ala moana shopping center, on my days off.  shopping and looking fabulous is still a must where ever i am!  (i know salila understands that very well!!!)

and i leave you with this photog. 

i am getting used to my new HI-life.




No comments:

Post a Comment